Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is this thing on?

Hi.

My name is Alex, and...

I'm a techoholic.

*phew* Glad I got that off my chest.

I'm finishing up my masters here at Lehigh's Instructional Technology program. My main interest is in instructional gaming which, despite being listed as a medium term trend in the Horizon Report, is a field in abysmal disarray. The quality of what's currently being produced, even by some of the major proponents of the field, is surprisingly low, both in terms of adherence to cognitive principles and in plain old enjoyability. I intend to do something about that, dammit.

My background is... diverse. My bachelor's is in biology (Rutgers) and I've been employed in the pharmaceutical industry at the regulatory end, and in numerous other jobs including landscaper, arborist, house painter, math tutor, and generic office "tech guy". Throughout all of this, I was happiest either when I was tutoring, or when I was configuring computer interfaces to be more useful. Instructional technology was an obvious choice.

On a more personal level, I've tried to match the tone of this first blog to my default state. I prefer to be informal and humorous when possible, and at this point in my life I've come to realize that if I'm not hard at play when I'm hard at work, I won't be functioning at my optimal level. I'm also getting balder and fatter by the day, but I'm not bitter about that. Not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment